Thursday, December 2, 2010

Another From Yesterday

I made this one last night as well but didn't have a chance to post it.  This was the same recipe from the first Whole Wheat attempt, but I just stuck to regular bread flour this time (and the appropriate amount of salt).

I made a double batch following this recipe from The Fresh Loaf's second lesson:

2 cups all-purpose enriched unbleached flour
1 cup bread flour
1 teaspoon yeast
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 cup sugar
1 cup warm milk
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 - 1/2 cup lukewarm water

I had some time to kill so I used active dry yeast and gave it 10 minutes to bloom.  I also had to stick to 3 cups of bread flour instead of AP.  I decided to let the mixer do the work for me for this loaf.  I tossed everything in and let it go to town for 15 minutes.  I was worried initially because the dough was very lumpy in the beginning, but it smoothed out after a bit.  

This loaf came out pretty nice.  I'm still not good at scoring the bread yet, I need to get some razor blades.  The bottom also got stuck to the baking sheet in a few spots so I lost a little bit of the crust.  Thankfully I was the only one that noticed!

This loaf was much softer than the other one I made yesterday.  The crumb was very soft and not as chewey.  The crust came out very crisp and you can see flakes of it coming off as it cooled!

The crust on this one is a little darker from the sugar carmelizing.


Crumb Shot


Paninis at work today



1 comment: